isamlq

isamlq

The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson

The Kiss of Deception - Mary E. Pearson

i enjoyed this, in much the same way i did those carson books with the girl with the magical gem in her belly, (whose title as usual elludes me.) it's got the same feel: a little bit of magic that's barely explored; a girl who wants to be more than what others want/need her to be; and even better, a girl who does something about it; and two, (yes, you read that right- two!) interesting fellows of the opposite sex figuring greatly in the complications in this one.

vastly entertaining. i enjoyed the questions and suspicions that the story allowed because i had a lot of them, especially on who was who and what their roles were going to be. i had my doubts: would this be another princess tale, one who doesn't want to be just that? or even another tale with multiple POV's, each proving there's just something irresistible about her?! this proved to be neither just those things; thus, my enjoyment of almost every single moment in this, especially those of the not-naming ones because they all kept me guessing, then feeling certain, then backtracking, then shaking my head for doing so, then guessing anew.

the questions on who would turn out to be who aside, the whole poor little rich girl isn't just what she is. we begin her tale with her and her being determined NOT TO BE what's expected. it's a little predictable in that aspect but became less and less so with each chapter that passed. there's more to her than what she didn't want, and there's more to her world than to where she'd headed; and that though much may her desire be for a simple life was, the same's essentially impossible here. because while she fancied herself a pawn, there were others just like her in this story, only more aware of the specifics than she was.

also, it made me cry! i wasn't expecting to; her moment of clarity at the heels of such terrible things produced in me so many FEELS that it left me surprised; because despite the poor little rich girl start, despite the love triangle so obviously coming, despite the not-knowing of who was who was who (really, one of the best aspects of how this story was told) i didn't expect to be as affected as i was in that moment. the last chapters here rival those in my recent Winner's Curse read. The feels in both come from out of nowhere SO now i'm hooked, waiting on the next book.

thank you, net galley!