isamlq

isamlq

Feather Bound by Sarah Raughley

Feather Bound - Sarah Raughley
"Feather Bound is a dark debut reminiscent of Gabriel García Márquez's A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings, and the twisted truth behind the fairy tale of Cinderella."

photo 3cbf4579767f1adb02212e241a6cb4efd198d607b2243230ddd6486eb9c6115e_zps8862d72f.jpg

unwarranted comparison aside, the one good thing about this is the cover. hello, cover love! unless one factors how it misleads the reader. yes, this is another case of beautiful cover… only.

one, on world building. what world building? things just 'are' in feather bound... something i would normally be ok with, except here, what 'is' is overly simple with that line between her world and his world, (and i'm not just talking of that rich and not so rich divide, which is likewise present here. I simply could not stand the easy way we're expected to swallow what makes their world different. Apparently it is what it is what it is. but, swan slaves my ass, as there is no rhyme or reason here. Random is what comes to mind.

two, kick ass heroine. what kick ass heroine? for a self professed do it yourself watch over the others girl... well, nothing she did in this established any of that. most everything from her is reactive and done after next to zero contemplation. this is how thing went down: 'oh, i am dear troublesome situation; i must stop crying. but wait! i shall cry some more first. now, i must think of a way out of my predicament; but wait! let me cry some more. and wait again! i have a plan' (if you could call it that.) sadly what she wanted and what she did only made the situation worse as the plan in question was so hare brained that it was a wonder she'd thought it up and put it in action.

and back to one on world building (i cannot help it as it annoyed me no end) there's this save the swans thing that should have been interesting, but fell flat as the more we went into the story, and the more random it felt. even the extra chapters on the mythology where things sprang from ended up feeling out of place. bottom line: there's poor follow up on what could have been something it's executed so poorly here. you know the seals and their pelts?

but thank you, net galley!