isamlq

isamlq

Landry Park by Bethany Hagen

Landry Park - Bethany Hagen

I still don’t get why that particular period was chosen because in the end LANDRY PARK felt like it was trying to be For Darkness Shows the Stars but didn’t measure up. I get the period in FDSTS because it’s a retelling, yes? But why that period here?

That aside, the questions on who they are why are all that’s interesting here, especially given mentions of a certain type energy and its unforeseen consequences. So in that we have ambitious background to work with, but all those interesting tidbits as to what happened and why aren’t quite pulled together in the end because instead we’ve have all these romantic entanglements that end up the focus. Oh, what wasted possibilities!

Anyway, new world meets old world (interesting.) The whole set up of her and the few like her being privileged with the rest not being so (OK.) The whole set up of her carrying on the family name and being duty bound to do this or that. (Yeah, I think I’ve read a version of all that before.)

LANDRY PARK has all these elements that individually should have been good, but when taken together as they were here they’ve ended up being: bland. The push-pull love/don’t love going on should have been romantic but ended up frustrating. Secret rebellions versus societal positions should have intrigued (and they did) but lacked something somehow because really, I felt like it should have been harder to piece things together, but it’s not as they’re all there laid out too obviously. Worse yet: the ending is a bit nonsensical.

At least there’s no love triangle.

Thank you, Edelweiss!