isamlq

isamlq

How to Love by Katie Cotugno

How to Love - Katie Cotugno

It’s not really about how ONE thing changes her life nor is it about how they both know each other then grow into something more. Ok, well, maybe that, but less them and more her. How he shifts things for her, or better, how she grows, initially because of him, and then because of Hannah, and then just because:

That’s what I bought~ that it wasn’t always all about this big love of her life. The beginning are of friendship then progress to having a place then move on to petty jealousies then later to the big let downs. There’s that whole thing on guilt be it the Catholic kind (as it was frequently alluded to) or the generic kind, but it’s guilt that weighs things down. Then come judgments, preconceptions, and expectations of who someone is, as well as who they could be. Contrast those last bits to slow discoveries of who they REALLY are with what and why they do things.

I wanted to punch Sawyer LeGrande. There’s this unbelievable certainty in him for who he was, who she was, and where they both were headed; unbelievable, because of it’s from the same certainty that all these insecurities sprang forth.

They are a study in contrast. And maybe that’s what I found too simple. Contrast her lack of experience to the vastness of his. Contrast her good kid persona to how much he wasn’t the same. Contrast her certainty in where she’s going to the absence of direction for him. Yet, it couldn’t be that simple! It couldn’t just be because of them being opposites of them being so distinct from the other that’s the basis of their attraction. I mean, there had to be something different; yet, the back and forth in their before’s and after’s made it seem the just case. But wait! I wanted to punch LeGrande in both halves of her narration. Why? That feeling of insecurity cloaked in his rocker boy shtick… god, it’s gotten so old is all.

Except… maybe it’s not just “opposites attract” for them. Perhaps, it’s that shared history and the KNOWING of who the other was/is/will be given said shared thing. NOW, if that were the case, I might-could have loved him and then them more. Then again, HOW TO LOVE isn’t really a Reena/Sawyer story; it’s more a Reena story, with whole dashes of Sawyer-through-Reena’s-eyes chapters. So that though Reena’s fully fleshed out, not the same can be said for him. And that’s just too darned bad.