isamlq

isamlq

The Vincent Brothers (The Vincent Boys, #2) - Abbi Glines 3.5/5wow. Wow. WOW. Score one for Abbi Glines! I feel like I’ve finally been let in on a big secret. I REALLY liked this one despite it being far from perfect given one or two (hell, more than a couple) of eye roll inducing moments due to some awkwardly phrased preachy ‘go you/go us speeches!’ Like/dislike... There’s a marked improvement in the characters and even the drama offered up. The characters for instance are not one track/one dimensional good boy/bad girl or good girl/bad girl types. I’m talking Sawyer, folks. Here’s an alpha type that I did not see coming, this straight laced former boyfriend to the preacher’s daughter shed his good boy prince ways quickly. I liked loved this about him, eve if moments had me wanting to slap him silly. Those moments of him looking back wanting to move on, contrasted to those moments of him scheming made him less the good guy that Ash painted him to be and more… likely. Yes, definitely not the complete good guy after all. Even Beau’s singular ‘protect Ash’ mode paled in comparison to Sawyer’s being an ass, trying new stuff, attempting to move on, and then later fumbling time and time (and time) again. It’s him I enjoyed the most because again he no longer is just a good guy. It was the fumbling that grounded him some and made him simultaneously more likeable and unlikeable. Lana too lived up to what I liked about her in Vincent Boys. In VB #1, she was the only voice of reason. Ash made her out to be too stick-in-the-mud, but when Lana called her cousin out, making her pick a boy to let the other go, I felt, no, I KNEW there was something to the girl. Finally, here was a female lead that didn’t have my eyes rolling (too much!) Yes, even with her using terms like ‘um… private parts/ down there’ that felt kind of inauthentic given her being eighteen and all. But, at least she’s not led down the same path other Glines girls had gone before. She’s not oblivious to her charms, just slightly insecure when she’d liken herself to her cousin. What’s made her more interesting is how she worked with what she had. Then went after what she wanted. Yes, there were wishy-washy moments of her and her baggage, but it’s a drama that I dug, if you get what I mean. Her feelings on being second best then her eventually making some hard decisions (although a bit half cocked…) all made sense. I admit I feared it was going to get over the top, with the bawling and the crying and the running away, and though all these things did happen, I wasn’t bothered (much.)3.5/5