isamlq

isamlq

Meant to Be

Meant to Be - Lauren Morrill 3.75/5Set aside the fact that he is a liar and she is self-involved and more than the just the “handful” she’d described herself, because this story is so easy to like. Opposites attract? Not quite… here we’ve got a girl who sees herself and others a certain way, and it’s a perception that shapes how she puts herself out there… or rather how she doesn’t put herself out there:Play it safe.Follow the rules. Goody-goody with the perfect GPA. Yes, she’s one of those… and given all that, it’s not such a big leap to see her find fault with how others, especially Jason, go with the flow: Class clown. Uber popular and too laid back…In other words, the anti-her. Then take another not too big leap and we see… and wait, what’s this? The two paired together! much to her dismay of course. You all know the drill from there, YET despite the predictable set up: the characters both pull the story off. Mainly because they’re so funny… no, what’s funny in a RomCom kind of way were the various predicaments they’d find themselves in. She’s so obviously out of her element and so filled with many, many hang ups… but with Jason in the picture, what a pair they made1. Especially with him pushing her (sometimes literally) outside her comfort zone. My big question though is what’s in it for him? You see it’s so obvious where things were going, but what’s not really clear is what the attraction was. The girl’s every thought made it painfully clear how uptight and judgmental she could be… so, Jason, what’s the attraction, really? It’s answered eventually… and it’s a sweet discovery too, but mostly this was funny fluffy ride, not too angsty drama with just the right amount of sweet, except with perhaps too many moments of her being oblivious to what so obvious as well as him too often failing to man up and set things straight. But I enjoyed these Americans in London, because them together? Sweet, if (more than) a little frustrating at times because theirs is a case of not-like being the exact opposite of that… something that I’ve been in the mood for of late.