isamlq

isamlq

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Book 1 of the Millennium Trilogy

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Book 1 of the Millennium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson Grisly from all angles: Lisbeth’s story, Hariet’s own, even Blomkvist is such. I liked/disliked all of them, but I confess I’d likely not have finished this if not for the audio version. Four attempts at the print version and if not for the incredible narration, I‘d likely never have gone beyond chapter two. I liked……how utterly unforgiving Lisbeth was. Her seeing things a certain way, then finding choices of certain players to be precisely that~ choices, left little room for her to sympathize with others. And to an extent, I found myself agreeing with her. Where others would have felt a teensy bit sorry for what a character had to do, Lisbeth could not and did not given an inch. That said, she is far from perfect too. And that’s fine because she made for a fascinating if not confusing read. She’s not all there, and she’s the first to admit such fact. In one instance she’s easily pleased and in other parts she’s not… this in turn led me to be confused for and by her. Again, she’s far from many things: perfect, simple or all there for that matter. OKBlomkvist is a whole other matter because my enjoyment of Lisbeth failed to extend to him. He is the practical guy and seems to let things fall as they would. Yet, not once did I feel anything greater than ‘and now what?’ Hearing that the next installments have a whole lot more of Lisbeth makes me excited. There’s just not that much to him. His actions with Lisbeth, Cecilia and the editor point to his being a lady’s man, yet his easy way with them and everything else in his life pointed to him being the practical guy letting things fall where they would too. I liked him sure but I not once did I feel more for himnot even when he was being sampled by the nut job.InterestingWas the mystery to be solved. I called it early on, but held back thinking things couldn’t be as simple as I believed. I waited things out, wanting to see if that I thought was the case. Thinking a more complicated explanation was called for was what kept me in the story. Indeed, it’s the mystery in this that’s, on one hand, astonishingly simple at first glance, but upon closer inspection, a bit more intricate and complex. It’s the little things that made up those intricacies that account for what was sometimes gruesome then appalling in the story. Men who hate women, indeed. 3.5/5