isamlq

isamlq

Pretenders by Lisi Harrison

Pretenders - Lisi Harrison

Bits of this were OK, but otherwise this read sadly too young to suit me; too young despite the snarky way all five leads could have. Things begin all Gossip Girl in set-up but quickly got confusing with each leap from one POV to the next. How many leaps are there exactly? Five:

From theatre-drama queen (emphasis on the second point) to a homeschooled brilliant girl who sadly referred to herself and others of her type as ‘homies’, then yet another brilliant perfect girl (but of course, only on the surface) to the male leads: one jock type and one loner type. I did not mind the whole casting the kids in these molds, but that not one of them went beyond the labels was… boring and then more boring.

Worse yet: their individual drama added little to my enjoyment of this because things went from too predictable then too unlikely. I wish PRETENDERS had stayed on the Gossip Girl track it started out on, because with the way things progressed, this was in turns confusing, boring, and eventually then over the top.

Thank you, Edelweiss!