isamlq

isamlq

Last Train Home by Megan Nugen Isbell

Last Train Home - Megan Nugen Isbell

I'm keeping this one short:

First, it's Painfully Predictable.

Second: I found it incredibly difficult to like the protagonist in this one; granted liking the lead isn't a requisite for good reading, but it does make things easier, right? There's the fact that she's a snob and aware that she was behaving thus; there's also her tendency to act bratty. Good effort is given to justify her behavior but let's face it: nothing really justifies acting like a brat.

Despite all that, she's New Girl and finds herself with all these new people (yes, that includes the necessary and predictably present Mean Girl... I mean of course!) There's that shiny-new thing going for her I suppose, but dear god, the things coming out of her mouth! The comparisons and the hick-this, hick-that asides from her had me wondering how they could stand her.

Third: The romantic angle, which made reading this even more blegh. It's a cross of best friend love from afar with love triangle, one of them being the popular guy. And thinking on the lot of them: I still don't see what they all saw in each other! In fact, even the "good guy" in this one was SOOOO good, he was rendered boring.

I wish I could say LAST TRAIN HOME was an OK read... it just wasn't.