isamlq

isamlq

Ward Against Death - Melanie Card This book has a lot going for it: a kick ass heroine, a goofy guy who is in over his head, a cool plot of necromancer meets assassin and action, lots and lots of action! (And then throw in a romance that could have gotten old quickly had there been no role reversal to keep things new.)The characters are most definitely the most interesting aspect. I enjoyed both of them where he’s “forgetful professor” in the making, she’s all femme fatale. And oh geez, they were fun to meet! The sad/funny part is all Ward; he is so unaware of what’s going on and so unsure about his role in it but he puts his game face time and again and tries to help out. And the kick ass bit? That is all on account of Celia… whom I loved!As to the story, well that I finished it in a blink must say something. It is quirk filled, funny and fast paced, and refreshing! Their world is wonderfully different. Take assassins on one hand then necromancers on the other then there’s bound to (and was) magic, guilds and flying arrows! Fun! I really enjoyed them reveal each aspect of their world; instead of describing things everything was revealed in a way that went smoothly.The basic problem is that she’s dead and needs him around because he is a necromancer… things don’t stay that way though given his attraction to her, his reluctant attraction to her. She’s dead, he has brought her back to life, yet he is strangely attracted to her… if that isn’t interesting, Well, I don’t know what is! The best aspect of this romance is that it’s the boy who’s sunk because the girl is too kick ass and involved in her own issues to give the same thing (much) thought. And even better is how they improved each other, where he gets a better grip of his abilities because of her, she evolves into someone less bad ass because of him. I truly enjoyed how their relationship developed of course the chemistry between the two added a bit more of something for me to like. So, a kick ass heroine, a goofy guy who is in over his head, then a cool plot of necromancer meets assassin and action, and then some romance...well, read this!4/5