isamlq

isamlq

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin Let me zero in on what I did like: (And yes, I am slightly surprised even as I type this…) I liked the couple. Admittedly, theirs is another inexplicable instant attraction thing that’s been done to death already. And I know that he is too perfect to be true: good looks, perfect grades, bottomless pocket yada yada yada. But I seriously enjoyed how they met, how she reacted (resisted,) and then how he reacted (pursued…) because in the midst of that stalker-y sounding description, the banter was pure entertainment with a lot of really good lines. I liked how they interacted. I enjoyed how she gave as good as he did. I liked that he didn’t take himself (or anything else for that matter) too seriously. That said there were a couple of things had shaking my head like Noah and his tendency toward douche baggery and Mara with her own tendency toward being too emo and mopy. I get that she’d been through a lot… I get the dark and depressed. But thank gosh for the extras though… because with Daniel, Jamie and even Joseph around, Mara could be less of an emo head, more the girl who was spunky and ever ready with snarky reply.But there was a lot in this, and at times too much! It’s this slapdash putting together of so many things that dampened my enthusiasm for the book. What was she exactly… crazy or special, in a paranormal kind of way? And exactly what was happening… a recovery? An escape? A haunting? Or all that? And who was Noah, really? Because if at first he an A-hole in a league of his own, his sudden turn around was… suspicious. He simply sounded too good to be trueSo did I like it or not? If not for so many things going on, I think I’d have loved it more. (But I really did like their banter.)2.5/5