isamlq

isamlq

Tempest - Julie Cross 2.5/5It took forever to get things going but once I was more than just a little interested, the story ended (and in a dramatic fashion, might I add.) Normally, YA’s told from the boy’s POV are a win for me. Yet, even with Jackson being believable (sometimes likeable and sometimes not, ) I can’t say that I liked his story. Everything just took too long and towards the end, everything was a bit… too much. He’s a boy with a lot of money as well as good fortune on his side. He’s also a boy who’d discovered he was special beyond good looks and said deep pocket. Add that he’s a boy who’s like any other: deathly afraid of showing his feelings; a fear somehow linked to his tragic family history. OK, so where did the sci-fi bit come in? Think The Time Machine of a girl’s death propelling the boy to go back in time to save her. Only when he does do this: a lot of things (everything?) goes wrong. While I admit that he is the only reason I even finished this, dear me… when I say there’s everything in this, I mean it (kitchen sink included.)It’s got time travel. He jumps (erg, half jumps) from moment to moment. But unlike stories of the same type, he does not affect the future by doing so. While I’d have liked to understand more of this, that this is the first in a series explains the lack of depth in said aspect. (So, I’m likely to read the next one despite the sad lack in character development.) There’s also the whole spy thriller thing going on. Now, think of JUMPER, except not as fast paced. What I had a problem with was how easily things went for him. Because not only could he friggin’ travel through time, well, he was expected to have photographic memory. And if those weren’t enough to take in, there’s this thing called the Axelle. Of course, there’s a girl who motivates him… for God knows what because seriously, beyond Jackson, all other characters went nowhere. Even Adam, whom I saw so much potential in. So while people abound, I didn’t know that much of them save that they were good friends, best friends, girl friends and sometimes creepy mysterious fathers. Wait! I must mention an enemy with an unfortunately painfully obvious name of…wait for it… ENEMIES OF TIME!It was interesting (eventually) though I do think this would make for a more interesting movie.THANKS NETGALLEY!2.5/5