isamlq

isamlq

Everneath - Brodi Ashton Everneath is a clever play on mythology, in broad terms Everneath is the Underworld only not for the damned or for those in limbo but those for the Everliving. More specifically, it takes Orpheus’s tale and builds on it then build on it a little more. While I am by no means a myth buff, I was intrigued by how the author took some of things that were familiar to me to come up with this one. But I ask myself why did this one work for me but not the Goddess Test? Perhaps it’s how not confusing things turned out to be in the latter, or that there simply was too much. What could have been interesting in that one went overboard. I was going to say that the underlying story is kept to… only to be honest things also did get confusing in Everneath toward the end with both Egyptian hieroglyphs and Daughters of Persephone thrown in. I enjoyed it but liked the first two quarters more than the last. At the center is Nikki a girl, still caught in facing the consequences of her choice. Me thought it clever and new how her story was tackled because hers in one divided in two pivotal points: the first was her before and after prior to being with Cole, the next is an outcome of the same: At first, here is a girl who is so utterly surprised to be with the most popular boy. This would normally be the part that I’d be rolling my eyes at; instead, she came across as genuinely surprised and obviously insecure in finding herself with him. But there was happiness too. Again, in this parts of the story she’s another just another character with a deep pain sad traumatic history. But Everneath DOESN’T dwell on that part of her, but zeroes in on how she dealt with it. Here in enters, and shines Jack. I’d feared another of those douches in the Unbecoming of Mara which was so not the case here because Jack is a solid guy. Later, here’s the same girl but different. I use the word different and not better because she is so far from being ‘better.’ In this later part, she’s sorry about what’s come to pass but resigned about what’s to happen. The bit stuck out for me was need to see do things better. She knew what she’d done and had but didn’t not have a clue about what to do about it…very fish out of water of her. I had no problem with the triangle! Both Cole and Jack were interesting options. A hundred years of being together without a doubt pulled her to one side, yet she was anchored to the other as well. While Cole’s role is sinister, mysterious, and dark, there is no denying that he too was drawn to her. While the knee jerk reaction would be for me to loathe him, be a little creeped out by his ‘we shall rule the world together’ I cannot shake the thought that what he felt was genuine (even if motivated for self gain initially.) Then Jack, again knee-jerk is to see him as nothing but the good guy, but there's more! (there always is) And WTF! What an ending! Sure, Everneath is not perfect but it’s entertaining it's starts out different goes over some of the usual stuff, but that ending has me anticipating what’s to follow.THANK YOU NETGALLEY!3.5/5