isamlq

isamlq

The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater I’d be lying if I said I read this quickly, that I’d sped through it... because doing so just wasn’t possible here. In fact, I had to stop then start this a couple of times before any of the characters let me connect to them. There is not one simple character in this one. I had to mull things over before they let me get to know them. It’s in the way it’s written I suppose. There’s a lot of description and thoughtful words thrown about… and getting used to those things took a while for me. Past this, I found myself feeling a lot of opposing things. I enjoyed them, even admired them but they could frustrate me too. Not simple. Not one of the characters is simple. With both Kate and Sean being each too young and too old, I loved how she recognized the same fact as well as how unaffected he was by the same fact. He just was. She on the other hand, I found, always was doing things the hard way. Yet, as he pointed out, they could be mirrors of each other… both doing what they were doing because they were driven. But what drove them? Her reasons are totally distinct from his: it’s her family. And this was but another aspect I was drawn to. Her relationship with her brothers was not the simple (there’s that word again!) Instead there’s conflict, hurt feelings and everything in between. That she knew them or thought she knew them only to find that they were so much more was a sweet addition. Because doing so, Finn and Gabe were not limited to being just her brothers; rather they had their own feelings, their own quirks, and their own reasons. Simply? They added (a lot) to the story As for Sean, it’s all Corr. That was just another relationship that’s difficult to describe: on one hand, the horse is a monster, and on another, he is all Sean had. There was a bond there that I felt authentic.Development. Then there’s how the both of them come together, (Minds out of the gutter, please). This coming together happens ever so slowly. The romantic sap in me was waiting. And waiting. And waiting. But things just went by because as said these two lived separate lives, that crossed more often than not. YET I loved how they weren’t wrapped up in each other. That only close to the end did they recognize what they had in common. It’s a slow build up… but so worth it. It’s not a big fiery passionate romance. At first, there is none to speak of. But their relationship, built up slowly, from having no trust to having unsure tentative one and then something more. There be development, I say!And that last ten percent was me with my Heart. In. My. Throat! 4/5