isamlq

isamlq

Cinder - Marissa Meyer This is one of the more entertaining re-tellings re-imaginations I’ve read of late. As is obvious from the title, Cinder is poor girl-sad girl complete with evil step mother. Only Cinder is a cyborg; Only they live in New Beijing that’s battling deadly plague of mysterious origin. I thought the concept interesting. In fact, the story had my attention from go, yet I wasn’t as impressed with the characters. Simply, everything everyone in it had a role to fulfill and they did the same with not much more. Cinder, for instance, is pitiful. My heart went out to her, but just once I’d have loved for her to go all Terminator on her guardian’s ass. When she finally decides to go after what she wants, one thing after another proved just how much a victim of circumstance she was. It’s never her fault though. Things just were; things just happened (normally to her). And there’s the step mum, who’s almost laughably evil. And thanks to years of Disney, I imagine her thus: Not even the moments of her secretly crying or the moments of her raging against Cinder could convince that there was anything beyond her being cruel (no hidden pain to make me understand what she was thinking). Even her step sisters turned out as expected with one bad, and the other good. I got little beyond the same.Of course our Cinderella has a prince. I liked Kai. I enjoyed him despite seeming rather un-Princely in how seemingly woefully under prepared for he was for what was to happen. (Don’t they groom this people for their responsibilities? Why all the deferring to the adviser?) Despite all that, he is a likeable sort and could be charming (being a prince and all). Still, the jump from like to love was rather jarring.There were two things I LOVED in this one. (a) The baddies and (b) the rather obvious lost princess twist. As to the first, there’s a whole race planet of mind controlling, moon dwelling Lunars to worry about. I loved the concept. And I loved how fear inducing their Queen was. False beauty or not she was ruthless. As to the second? ‘Twas obvious where the story was headed early on, yet I have always had a fascination for stories of that sort. I’m ready for book two.THANK YOU NETGALLEY3/5