isamlq

isamlq

Froi of the Exiles - Melina Marchetta I had re-read Finnikin of the Rock right before jumping into this one and everything that I loved about that one was present in Froi. Both tales involve people, families and how those stories mesh. Each person had a tale his own, but all those intertwined producing a story that’s quite complex and complicated. I loved it. Froi’s story starts where Finnikin’s ends. Three years after events in Lumatere, Froi finds himself part of it; he is desperate to prove where his loyalties lay. It is this same fact that leads him to Charyn, where learns more of his past. Froi’s mirrors Finnikin’s story with both of them trying to prove themselves. Only Froi’s seemed more painful (what is it with these broken men with dark pasts that fan my desire to give them a hug?) because his history is a chain of heartbreaking things done to one then to another ending with him not knowing precisely who he was and where he came from. It’s complicated and intriguing but not just those things because there were light hearted moments that eased things a bit. The people in this one were strong and passionate. And they felt deeply, so I in turn felt deeply too- one moment had me laughing even after something else had me tearing only later to have my heart racing. But what I loved more was how connected and individual the stories were. Each person had a story to tell. Lady Beatriss and Trevanion’s is one of the more affecting ones, second only to Quintana’s. And Lucian’s was probably the one that had me the most frustrated. But again it’s Froi’s that had me feeling so many things. 4.5/5 THANK YOU NETAGALLEY!