isamlq

isamlq

Double Clutch: A Brenna Blixen Novel (Volume 1) - Liz Reinhardt I see drama in Brenna Blixen’s future, and strangely, me wants it. A good deal of Double Clutch alternates between cute and hot, so I enjoyed this story despite it being yet another one of a girl torn between two boys, each appealing in their own right. Despite depictions of skanky girls throwing themselves at hot boys, and bad boys with deep dark secrets that they’re reluctant to share, or even a girl with the tendency of wanting to see the good is so obviously flawed boys, the story is good, surprisingly so. What’s to like? Brenna is direct and frank and just a little bit innocent. At first glance I took her to be another new girl unaware of her charms. She’s not. As she’s actually more aware of who she is what she wants than is common. Being certain about what she wants and how to go about it, she splits time between regular school and tech. It’s this decision that gets her into “trouble.” I would shelve this with DUFF and Shut Out because all three touch on matters of sex and exploring the same in an upfront manner; there’s no shying away from it. Rather than virginal girls afraid of sex or boys pushing for it, there’s a girl who’s curious, who asks about then acts. While they do touch on a similar topic, I would say that Double Clutch was better with its delivery being less obvious, flowing more naturally from the story, rather than being part of a message. Basically, it’s better being less obvious in a way. But it’s not perfect either. The story was cut right before something big was going to happen. Events near the end had me holding my breath thinking a couple more chapters were to follow. To leave things as they were with that big reveal…left me hanging. It’s good thing the second book is out.3/5