isamlq

isamlq

Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally It’s so darned cute… but not necessarily perfect. The last time I read a combo of a tomboy, football and love off field was with DJ Schwenk in Dairy Queens. Jordan is a little like DJ except that she’s more sure of herself and thus less self-deprecating. I like Jordan’s story; it’s sweet and cute, and easy, but I don’t necessarily like the girl herself. My biggest problem with her is how she saw people. The girl is headstrong and knows what she wants but she also knows what she doesn’t like. It’s here that I call stereotype. The labels she put on the girls around her bugged me a little, and the labels they put on her in turn bugged me a little more. Where one saw the other as dumb, pretty, and flighty; the other saw the female QB as a potential threat, would be slut and worse. Didn’t like it. At. All. It didn’t help that the boys were a little unoriginal too: getting drunk then getting some all because they’re football stars. I wish there was something more to them because there could have been especially with JJ, Carter and Henry. I caught glimpses of them, not just as teammates but as her support too. I would have loved to see just a little more than JJ’s Casanova football star bit or Carter’s ‘reluctantly living my father’s dream.’ Basically, there’s potential unfulfilled with regard to them.Now of course there’s the love connection complicated by a BFF who is secretly in love with her. Or not. Because, Blinkers. The girl had blinkers on with everything save her skills in football. Why her dad was the way he was, and why Henry was the way he was… why could she not see these things? I will say I was relieved for the slow realizations she came to. Key word: slow. She’s strong willed, knows what she wants but could be so naïve about other things some times. The best thing here has to be the connections that they had with each other: Sam and Jordan. Jordan and her brother. Jordan and her team. Jordan and her father... sweet and so darned cute!3/5