isamlq

isamlq

Everybody Sees the Ants - A.S. King A.S. King has a knack for writing Quirky Characters. His mom, his dad, the bully, his grandfather, Uncle Dave and, Aunt Jodi and Lucky in particular: all are very different from what I am used to. Squids and Turtles… I love how the boy thinks. How he’s put the people in his life in certain boxes and thinks of them that way and yet all at once he’s is completely right about what he thinks and funny, if veering a little toward the oversimplified. His parents: they not be perfect. It was incredibly frustrating how their talks of doing something as opposed nothing went. There had to be a middle ground, no? At least in the end there’s a reason for their quirks… so now in my mind is a couple trying their best, just not knowing how to go about it. Mega Quirk: Think of safe places and happy places and one is not likely to come up with a prison camp in jungles of unknown with a grandfather gone missing decades before… but that’s just how Lucky thinks. But it’s in such a place where a version of Lucky that’s sure and confident shows up. (I’m not sure I’m happy about this.) I did appreciate how through this link he gains something. There be Others... all as quirky as the others. His Uncle is perfect at first… but not so much later. And it’s Lucky’s discovery about him that explains away a lot of Aunt Jodi’s…ergh… quirks. Or Hair, who is perfect and beautiful and confident at night with her crew cut friends and ninja running through parks and yards only later to change with the whistling! My eyes did buggeth out. Here’s the thing though: all their quirks have a reason behind them. Am I happy about this… or would I rather have had a bunch of fellows acting the way they did, with no reason in particular? Some of those reasons, by the way: upsetting and unsettling. And I say it again: Unsettling. Despite the unconventional way it's told, there's a lot to take in. Lucky has his issues but he is not alone in that respect. The adults are just as messed up as he is. READ THIS.