isamlq

isamlq

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Jesse Andrews 3.5/5 Me, Earl and the Dying Girl is quite the surprise. Our guy has a tendency to go off on tangents, funny, humorous tangents that revealed not only his self-deprecating humor but also that he’s an ability to state things as they really were (or maybe not.) Because while Greg reads ordinary, he is disconnected. He doesn’t want to make waves. He doesn’t want enemies, but neither does he want friends. Curious guy, I thought. Except, paring it down, we see that he’s so afraid of what others see and think as it related to him. And it’s such things that drives him to be as he was, which is I repeat, disconnected. But if he was that at the beginning of the book, he certainly wasn’t that by its end.Yet I did enjoy this story. Mainly, I laughed at how thing were stated. Because the best thing in it was how he’d take the making s of a conventional thing and turn it on its head. Put a dying girl and boy who had no real close friends to call their own together. A romance was likely to develop, yes? Right? Or take the same boy, who’s basically terrified of a lot of things (most especially what others thought of him,) then take a tough guy who’d just as soon as kick you than look at you. And ask yourself, do these two have the makings of an unconventional friendship. Would one take the other under his wing? Would the other? Maybe. Most of all though, I respect how Greg called things out as moronic: other people, other people’s behavior, but more often than not, himself… because he really could be such a moron. The saddest part of it is the level to which he’d did not believe in him self. The depressing state of his self-confidence was funny and sad (but really, mostly funny.) Yet, things did change. Slowly. And while one would think that it’s due to the dying girl, it really isn’t. His moment of clarity comes from the most unexpected of sources. And I love, love, love this fact. So, take heaps of self-deprecating humor, some really crass, gross jokes, a dying girl and then two boys, and color me surprised. I enjoyed this one.Thanks Net Galley!