isamlq

isamlq

Love and Leftovers - Sarah Tregay Hmmm. What is it with the lead in this one, whose story runs along the same line as Playing Hurt, yet has me considering her all the same? Infidelity. When ever a story goes there, I always end up judging someone as selfish. Always. Because it seems to me that what follows it (or precedes the act as the case may be) is a reason behind the same. And in so doing, things feel like a cop out. This is so even with all the bad crap she had to undergo.Yet, once all was said and done, there was a return to normalcy. And because all of them-- from dad, to mom, to the lead, to her ex, to BFF-- behaved badly at one point or another. So, for me at least, it felt like one bad act canceled another that bad act out, (if you catch my drift.) It felt needlessly long and needlessly sad because in the end, there’s just a simple realization that had she heeded her mum’s words, she wouldn’t have found herself in such the shitty position of needing to grovel, and the shittier place of still being treated like crap and thus left feeling pissed on her own behalf because there was no one with whom to share the load. And talk of mum’s words of advice? She had some interesting notions, I thought. It was simply too bad that her mum came up short as well. And why? Because her mum had problems of her own! And in the end, all I saw was a bunch of people with problems galore. Strangely enough it seemed that it was daddy’s boyfriend who’s not so bad after all. And that good old sweet Linus, could be an A-hole in his own right. My point? It seemed that by the end of the book none of them came up smelling like roses. Who could blame one character for doing this or another for doing that? They all do something crappy. *cop out. * All that said if there was one thing I truly enjoyed here it’s the idea of ‘leftovers.’ Of people who don’t fit in with any particular group and end together because there’s nowhere else.2.5/5