isamlq

isamlq

The Returning - Christine Hinwood There are so many characters in this one and all their experience so unfamiliar to me that I wanted to get familiar with every single one of them as well with every aspect of their stories. The story spans a long while, beginning from right after Cam’s return and eventually tackling his younger sister’s own beginning…but the story is so much more than their family, because it touched on everyone around them. It’s quite daunting trying to sum it up, so I won’t even try… but I do see why there’s so much positivity around it.There’s a sense connection here almost like what I felt in Finnikin, though it’s far from being the epic fantasy that the latter is. It does cover a lot of things and as a consequence there’s simply so many people. It’s clear that one character’s story affects another one and the next one after that and so on, but I enjoyed how each of them had something to deal with and their troubles uniquely their own. Take, Cam and his wanderlust; Ban and his feelings, Cam’s koi-boy and her dealing with what she was and what she had to do; Lord Ryuu’s son and his figuring out his place… or Pin and her place for that matter. Again, there’s a lot of them at time I felt like each of their stories could have been dealt with more specifically, each of them could have been tackled just a smidge more. Because I only barely got a glimpse at what made each of them special, by the end, I felt like I’d only just begun to learn a little of who they were… and I wanted more.Thanks you NetGalley!3/5