isamlq

isamlq

The Catastrophic History of You and Me - Jess Rothenberg It’s not what I was expecting: funny mostly but not all of the time. The GoodThose nifty chapter titles; I loved those because they touched little on what she loved and she loved a lot. She has had a passion for older music, a skill for diving, and a love for those close to her. And it was that last bit I appreciated the most: she’s close to them. I also liked her having these ideas about the people around her, feeling comforted when they lived up to her notions, then being so confused (shocked) when they didn’t. It’s her boyfriend, best friend and father acting totally out of character that shocked her most. So in way the book isn’t all about her. It’s about them and how they deal, which is where the sad factors in. The BetterAnd yes, sure, it wasn’t all about her, but a good deal of the hilarious bits was her coming to grips with where she ended up. Her version of heaven is a pizza parlor, (a version I would willingly take up as my own.) But it’s the people in it, one person in it, who made it even more interesting: Patrick. The moment he’s in the picture you get the feeling that there’s something more to him than the funny, cocky, brash over-confident boy. You’d be right. But I stop here because imagining past his whatever jacket, (what was it again?) and getting to know him is when most of the fun took place.The IffyOk, I have to but the back story of who Patrick was has me feeling iffy. The romantic in me should be swooning over the idea of being someone’s “always and forever.” But, do I really buy that? The title is so appropriate: catastrophic and all, and I’d even go further and throw out an 'unhealthy' in a Romeo-Juliet kind of way! But hell being slightly less nitpicky and having been swayed by the romance of it all. I say him + her = aaw.3.5/5