isamlq

isamlq

Breathe (Sea Breeze, #1) - Abbi Glines The only positive that I can recall is Marcus… and frankly, he could be just as predictable as the rest. At one point I found myself comparing BREATHE to those older Regency romances. And while this is by no means a bodice ripper, it’s got the same feel to it. What with its poor girl who doesn’t think that much of herself, that and the fact that she’s got ‘the weight of the world on her shoulders,’ (yes, someone in the book actually says that about her.) Said weight is embodied mainly in a mother who wasn't all there but had the gall to put said girl down time and time and time again. Of course, eventually, our girl meets a boy who likes to save the day. But later still, the same girl meets the ‘master' of the house (and yes, they call him that too!) So, It’s Regency + YA = me, who is just not that into it. This is even if the start wasn’t all that was bad. In fact, it had me thinking of Scott’s Stealing Heaven. The interesting bits had me waiting for something better that might just have been somewhere around the corner on the next page.I was wrong.It wasn’t just the set of predictable characters that I found wanting. What did they both see in her when she saw so little? And what was with their intense 'I love you's' after a nanosecond of knowing each other? Plus the way they talked! Someone tell me I’m not the only one who picked up on the absence of contractions or the almost paragraph (or two) long questions and answers that went back and forth. God, they were long winded. Now on that note, I end.I still might read the next one, though that’s mainly because of Marcus. Then again, I might not.