isamlq

isamlq

Night School - C.J. Daugherty Sixty four percent in four days does not a good sign make. I just couldn’t get into it; but, the Lord be thanked, for if not by the powers of skimming then I doubt I’d have managed to get through to the end. Should I say that it’s the same old, same old?Should I say that the boys are ridiculously controlling in this one? Should I repeat the fact that, yet gain, there be two boys in this one; both of whom are into the same girl who thinks herself, yet again, as not that much to begin with?Should I say that it took forever for things to kick into gear? (I mean sixty four percent, people!)I guess, I sort of just did. All those moments of ‘someone watching me,’ ‘someone knows something I don’t know’ had me coming up with all sorts of scenarios… but the one the book actually had was not too bad, just not as specific as I’d have liked it to be. That was the point though, for the school, the circumstances to be cloaked in mystery. My problem is not that much is resolved in the end. Sure, she knows a little more about how things work. Sure, she knows a little more of who she is. Sure, she’s found out the hard way that some people are to be trusted and others not… it’s just that I felt like the numerous stories going on didn’t quite get tied together in the end:Consider the separate story of Boy #1, why was he the way he was. Or Consider Jo, BFF/fragile girl... what was her deal? And would it be that easy to resolve what had taken place? Or consider Ruth? Whaaa? Why? Who? And Christopher. I know you’re in this is for some reason; I just can’t quite put you where you belong… because there were missing pieces here.I like the idea of girl-criminal sent to reformatory. There’s not much of that here though. In this, one gets the usual dose of girl meets boy then meets another boy. Here there be romance. Here there be friendships of the wacky sort, put to test by even wackier scenarios. Here be a mystery of what her school is and what role she’s to play in it. Of course, throw in some murder, some mayhem, and even a couple of stalky moments… 2/5