isamlq

isamlq

Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo This book makes me happy. Again, there’s a girl and a boy. And an unrequited something at the beginning. But those are just extras because the magic and the world in this one are different. Sure, I could have handled a little more detail; heck I’d love to have had more on the where’s and the when’s and how’s of it all, yet what was there had me sprinting through the story in a couple of hours. There’s just something to them together and as individuals that made them special. And I like that they started out as ordinary then worked their way up. There’s an imbalance between the two that’s evident from the start with him being so perfect and popular and with her not. Yet, she’s the who gets followed around through the course of the story. She’s the one who people gawk at, build shrines to, talk over, and want to be with. The best thing here was her growing into her own without him. That when she finally lets go, she blooms. It had me feeling sad (because obviously there was something there); yet, excited to see what she really could do once she set her mind to it. What had me a feeling slightly iffy about her was her channeling similar feelings to Darkling. And it’s this bit that got slightly predictable. Look, the progression of the story was obvious. Obviously, she’d fall for someone else. It’s just a handy benefit that that someone else was handsome and powerful (and a hundred and twenty years old.) So yes, from the get, one could guess where the story was headed: betrayal, manipulation, love etcetera, etcetera.. YET I enjoyed it: Alina is just that sympathetic with her starting out as ordinary then being molded into something more all the while missing (but not wanting to miss) a certain part of her past. Good story. Thank you Net galley!3.5/5