isamlq

isamlq

Lies Beneath - Anne Greenwood Brown Interesting. Both parties acknowledge how stalk-y his behavior was, but apparently acknowledging the same is all it takes for the girl to smile at him (albeit, reluctantly.) I don’t know about this girl. She’s wary of him but still goes on hikes with him. That voice in her head sending out “warning” should likely be heeded. It’s called self-preservation. Heck, those zaps of electricity were even clearer warnings. Electrocution equals no good. Now as an individual, she did sound interesting. Doing the exact opposite others do. Going all martyr. See? She’s slightly different. But even if I do set aside the whole stalker boy thing of her pointing it out and him admitting it was enough to make him behaving like one not a big deal, I still didn’t love this. It’s sadly predictable. The whole vengeful mermaid thing could have been taken up a notch but a good deal of this is him worrying over ‘do I love her… what’s to be done.’ Take away the mermaid bit, and there’s not much new: A boy takes to the new girl, as does another boy. Namely, Jack who was an interesting addition except to say that I would have loved to have seen more of him. He was there one minute stirring things up then gone for a whole stretch then back again. I felt him incomplete. In fact, I felt all of them all incomplete save Mariss who so consistently portrayed the scary vindictive mermaid. A little more fleshing out, a little more of the scary mermaid bit, but a little less on loving the new-girl, and I would have loved this. Not even those twists (one of which had me feeling as Calder did, as in 'Eew;' the other, I kind of felt coming,) can make me feel more enthusiastic for this one.Thanks Edelweiss!2.5/5