isamlq

isamlq

Because of Low (Sea Breeze, #2) - Abbi Glines I’m not one to leave a series unfinished. This is true even when I hate the first book as is the case with Sea Breeze #1. If that book had anything going for it, it’d have to be Marcus. And that’s about it. The writing, the plot, the conflict, hell… just about everything in that put me off. Yet, Marcus piqued my curiosity. This beta male, good guy had me wondering what the author would have in store for him. In terms of writing, BECAUSE OF LOW felt a bit less stilted. No long winded declarations of love; no sudden intense obsessive neediness out of nowhere for the either of two involved. A big plus is how not over the top they could be. Marcus’s issue? Possible. Her issues? Less so. And Cage? OK, I admit it the role this guy had in all of it did get a bit out there. Still, drama level was tolerable, worlds away from that of Sea Breeze #1.Taken together, I liked the upfront way they handled their attraction. Neither of them skirted around it; both of them acted on it. There was a concerted effort by the two to be mindful of how their being together could/would affect others. (Sort of.) Then individually… first off, it’s Marcus who had me reading this. In Breathless, he read the sensitive, good one; the one who’s careful and considerate. Here, he is all of that except he wasn’t just the sensitive guy. The things he dealt with pushed him to his limits and showed how much he could deal with and how he would do so. All those moments showed him being less than perfect and more real (and yeah, sheltered.) In their love triangle that wasn’t, I felt that Marcus truly was the only viable choice. Especially if we consider how Cage behaved. I mean just because you’ve got an itch doesn’t mean you’ve got to scratch it 24/7. Cage Part I, oh… the eye rolls you induced! Only later in a teensy scrap almost to the end, a second version of Cage showed up, Cage Part II. With this version in mind, it made sense why Low was with him at all. It was beginning to grasp what Low saw in him at all. And I thought, where the hell, were you through out?! And of course Sadie, ehe.. I mean Low. The girl just read like Sadie. Insecure, unaware. Down on her luck but with a tougher past. I suppose I will read the next one when it comes out. Because of Low was a much better reading experience that the first. 2.5/5