isamlq

isamlq

Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey 3.5/5I can see why his work is compared to that of Zusak’s. It’s got the same feel to it… quiet, sad, bitter, unfair, angry, and funny a lot of the time too. But it was never a simple story, Charlie’s experience with Jasper, Jasper’s history with the town, even Jeffrey and his family’s part of it all had me feeling… something. Then eventually Charlie and Eliza.There’s a sad truth to what most of they had to say too. It’s just that Jasper with a longer time with things seemed to be more matter of fact about it all. Contrasted to his reception, Charlie’s disgust, anger was clearly felt. Charlie wondering about the town itself and how everyone stood by, how everyone knew just a bit of someone else’s business but still let things be.. all felt quite curious to me. And eventually, when he was angry, so was I. Then when he was confused, so was I. Their feelings are conveyed quite clearly… and I felt every one of them. It’s emotion filled; in turns quiet, then sad, then confusing, and only a few times over the top… but it all had me riveted. Especially, with each character, a story of his own, it was interesting to see each story plod along (slowly, or quickly, depending on who the focus was) toward that quietly emotional end. Of course not one of them are ‘good/perfect.’ Some try to do what they think is right, others just try to get by. Then there were those disappointments; and others who of course, were delightful surprises. All their back stories got tied together neatly later though.You’d think it simple but with all those emotions swirling about, well, ‘twas unlikely: unfair, sweet, funny and everything else. And even if I did find the start a bit odd (that he’d just agree to do something on someone’s say so,) everything: their back story, the events… all eventually came together quite well for me in the end. 3.5/5