isamlq

isamlq

Never Enough - Denise Jaden 2.5/5Let’s face facts… Loann could twists just about any drama around her and make it about her. ‘Oh, Marcus is stoically being all silent boy independent and closed mouthed about his problems.’ Boohoo. Does this mean he hates me? Or, ‘oh, my sister is laughing about something with her friends.’ Does this mean she’s really laughing at me behind my back..ergh… to my face but from a distance? Then take: ‘oh dear, my mother is worried about what’s become of our family.’Does she really have to ask me about where she’d gone wrong? I am exaggerating, but sometimes it felt like that to me. All that whiney "me. me. me" focus overshadowed the fact that sometimes she could be a good person, or tried to be a good person despite her doing some things so annoyingly… ergh, shortsighted (as with the scene in the beginning with her and her so called friends. As sene with object of her affection who unsurprisingly reveals himself to be douche bag galore actually.) It was interesting though, this story of a girl connected to so many people who themselves weren’t leading not quite ideal lives. I found myself drawn in and curious about things despite not giving two shits about the family (the sisters, their mother and father were all too wrapped up around in perceived shortcomings of others.) So I suppose that it’s no surprise if I say that it was someone outside their little familial unit that kept me glued: Marcus. His secret pain and pushing back but reluctant wanting to stay connected had me perplexed. The eventual moving forward in their department came slowly… then stopped suddenly... then moved on again. All those came as welcomed events in what would have otherwise been Loan’s me, myself and I gripe show. Because Loann? Really, this girl was not quite perfect… but did try her darnedest to be good, do what was right… to be enough. It’s her relationship with her sister that’s the driving force of most things that take place in the story. Their relationship was in no way easy. Her little flashbacks to what they had had, contrasted to what was current, explained a lot of her current feelings of conflict. Her wanting back what they had had, but not knowing how to go about it (even with knowing in that back of her head that it’s really not quite possible) both made sense to me. But for the life of me, the picture she painted of her older sister just felt too unlikely to be real. And I guess, I was accurate in a way.Thanks you Simon and Schuster G&G2.5/5