isamlq

isamlq

Fury - Shirley Marr “When I think hard about it, I find that I… actually don’t like many people. I must be such an angry person.” - Page 178Eliza is modern Furious girl. Color me green. I’d never aspired to being a writer (writing this is hard enough) but Fury has me wishing I had written it! Because, among other things, Eliza Boan’s story is compelling, dark, at the oddest of moments funny, but very upsetting. (And her name be awesome too.) Eliza is privileged; they all are and it’s because of this fact that I held her (them) at a distance. At first. And why, you may ask. She’s uppity and spoiled rotten and unapologetic about what had come to pass. Yet needing to know the why of it, leads up to a slow (at times confusing) reveal. It’s upsetting, as said. I’d already had an inkling of what might have been, but the lead up to the same had me holding my breath.How good a bad girl is Eliza, exactly? Well... She drew me in despite her numerous flaws. It’s those same flaws that had me wondering why she was the way she was. Again, in those first chapters, I simply did not like the girl... but one page after another, I felt something akin to sorrow for her. Yes, she’d mocked herself early on as ‘that poor little rich girl,’ but she was precisely that. It’s disturbing to read how they interacted. There was a senseless cruelty when they were together on a page. And I’m talking about the friends here! The dynamics between Eliza and Marianne and Lexi is exactly the one in Lohan’s Mean Girls. It’s this that accounts for some of the surprisingly cruel moments. They’re together, the closest to each other, yet they compete all the time. It was interesting confusing how closely bonded they were yet on guard they were against each other especially given their respective insecurities and jealousies. Marcie in particular confused me. From what I gathered, she’s perfect, so her constant play for position of top dog had me feeling threatened for Eliza! But it’s Lexi’s role in it that had me shocked and and wanting blood.The allusion to Girl Interrupted hit on the head what I was feeling. Because while this girl is messed up, she could be sweet and smart too. It’s just that she’s so wrapped up in her world, in being what she was (part of a trio of beautiful rich girls) that couldn’t see anything beyond it until something terrible happened to shake her out of her little cocoon of being above it all. And together with her story are several histories the most interesting of which is that shared with Neil. Oh how I’d love to read more of that aspect! “You infuriate me, Elle,” replied Neil. “But you wouldn’t be so special if you weren’t so awkward to deal with, huh?” - Page 222-----------Guess who’s placed an order for FURY at Fishpondworld.com! *excited* Thank you, Wendy F!Roshini, you’re next!