isamlq

isamlq

Pushing the Limits - Katie McGarry 2.5/5Intense…. but not always in a good way. I felt as if there were three people in this love story. On one hand, there’s Noah, who’s not always the typical bad boy. I found it interesting how he took on so many things. But frankly, there were times I felt it contrived placing so many things on him. It felt too …much I suppose. This misunderstood bad boy type who behind all his snark and crudeness was actually just someone as damaged as the female protagonist. Then Echo, who acted so different at points that she's practically two. There’s that side of her that’s insecure unloved and so dramatic *and sometimes embarrassing) in her confrontations; but there’s also that side to her that’s ready to smile and ready to give a hug. I could not figure her out… but what’s worse, my desire to figure her (and them) out was quickly waning with each reference by him of her as “his siren” or him hinting at making her “his.” He could be so intensely possessive… and it annoyed troubled me a little. Drama. That romance aside, it’s their individual issues that propelled me further. Can anyone say drama? How about dysfunction? OK, how about denial? It’s all here… and then taken all together could get quite overwhelming. Let’s piece things apart, shall we? Her issue begins with a dead brother who doted on her, a father that’s simultaneously distant then controlling, and a missing memory of something that’s scarred her in all aspects. More drama. There’s high school drama too! Of her wanting to be normal, and wanting what she was and had had back. Except it’s this aspect that puzzled me even more! I just didn’t get it. I couldn’t see why she’d want them back. Save, Lila, most everyone was no good. Grace in particular, with her putting conditions on friendship. I didn’t really see the need of bothering with someone of that sort. Or Luke, his actions fell into so many douche bag categories that again I was wondering if there was anything good in him to begin with. Sure later, they shed light on why they all were the way they were; it still didn’t like a good many of them though. Just a bit more. His drama was more straight forward. But it’s also his issues that had him putting people at a distance, and not thinking straight, and it’s also his issues that had him making declarations that were so over the top that I cringed inside, outside, and all over for him as well as for her once I got a load of what he wanted. It gets better though... Thankfully, once I hit that last third, things smoothed out for me… and I was buying more of what was taking place. They were starting to think a little more clearly, and weigh more of their actions… so yeah, where one of them said ‘sacrificial;’ I was thinking ‘common sense…’ With both of them acting more for the other rather than for themselves, well I kept at it despite some more troubling/confusing/overthetop moments. Now, if I were absolutely honest, the best moments are how each their issues were resolved. Neither one gets the HEA I expected, but it’s an HEA nonetheless. See, the way things were going from the start, well… I figured a more over the top love conquers all thing was coming my way. It did and it didn’t. I like that.2.5/5Thank you Net Galley!