isamlq

isamlq

Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between - J.A. Saare Bad, cliffhanger. Bad, bad, bad! I’ve been on this UF/PNR kick a week now, so I cannot help making comparisons. I will say it’s a quick read, but it’s got a lot of the same old, same old. You know? Woman with sad/scarred past, keeping everyone/everything at a distance. Then there’s that other character who’s equal parts hot and terrifying. Ever hear of these types? It’s the second one who shoves passed the former’s boundaries. And it’s the shoving that gets her terrified all the more, as well as all the more prickly and tough and distant. All interesting things but nothing new, IMO.To be frank, the development of their love connection missed me. I had to page back a couple of times thinking I must have missed something, for him to be feeling so strongly for her. Perhaps I had been reading on autopilot and missed the laying of their ground works, so to speak. That romance aside, I did enjoy the more ‘urban’ element to this. Her world is still a rough one as expected and there’s this underlying toughness to everyone in it. Take, her 27th law, “When you're working in a gentlemen’s club and one of your dancers takes off their heels, alert the big guns; an ass kicking is on the menu.”Fun! But scary, too. Or take the surprising and curious additions of others around her: Goose, for one. I mean with a name like Goose, who wouldn’t be curious, right? That angle on selling vamp blood as drugs threw me for a Sookie flashback, but there’s more to the story with this or that demon showing up. And it’s that last twist as well as that cliffhanger that’s got me split… do I want to read on? Oh, hell… who am I kidding? That cliffy has me thinking that Ms. Saare’s just about to take things a gazillion notches up, so I for one am not going to miss it. 3/5