isamlq

isamlq

Raising Stony Mayhall - Daryl Gregory 2.5/5Well, this was different. The content, ambitious with the zombies, 'the differently living.' Where was the blood? The gore? Or even the hero/heroine I’d root for? Instead of the latter, first I got something to gawk at, then I got something(s) to mull over. It’s definitely different. A whole alternative to the zombie world I love is offered. Despite that (because of that?) I couldn’t connect. See? I love the chase. The ‘get the hell out of there, you idiot!’ moments. The first part had little of me feeling that way; the second part even fewer. Initially, it’s him getting used to his family. While his being part of that unit had me recalling Z in Warm Bodies, in that I saw how different he was from them, here I was never completely invested; intrigued maybe but not anything beyond that. So where Z’s the feeling were all wrapped up in what he remembered, Stony’s the feelings /thoughts were all wrapped up together. He’s a thinking kind of zombie, a contemplative one… sometimes overly so. It’s this that set him apart from what I’d come to expect, all of his kind actually were up to some level like him. But I wanted more gore, but I got The Thinker instead. Just not my thing, I suppose. At least with Z, there’s the fact that he was the anomaly... and not the norm. So the first part really shows him trying to be connected to them all, and they to him… the latter portions is him trying to figure out what his and his kinds place really is. So there’s only more contemplation, and while interesting and thought provoking and yes, different… all these things weren’t things I was expecting. As a result there was this gaping disconnect between me and him. Plus, it got plodded along with him thinking and thinking and thinking.It’s not a bad book... but perhaps it’s just not my thing. Then that ending… um… you see it coming. Starting all different, then progressing the way it did ‘deep,’ sometimes political, maybe even philosophical… and then to end that way… well, ’Huh.’