isamlq

isamlq

The Assassin and the Princess - Sarah J. Maas I enjoyed this one how while they’re both looking at the same girl; they’re seeing something totally different. Where Dorian sees this girl who’s scarred and wounded, Chaol sees this assassin, this danger. Then I loved how both their versions are actually true. But I enjoyed these people. Not one of them was perfectly good or perfectly bad, just capable of doing both. I liked the little bonuses that painted a clearer picture of her. Her friendship with Nehemia for one, was curious from the beginning. They find themselves in the same position and connect on that level, but she’s not quite sure about what trusting the other. Then her connection to both the Prince and the King’s Guard. Boy, what a flirt! But what fun she could be too! She’s definitely what I’d picture to be an assassin. The start has her weak and a victim… little by little her sass shows through. And I enjoyed her more and more. It’s with the little changes in her that the others warmed up to her. I found it amusing this killer, this Queen of the Underworld who could be so fond of frivolous, of the sometimes frilly things like royal balls and pretty gowns. It made her story less grave I suppose, making her just a girl. But I enjoyed her wit too, with her warring need to stay under the radar but wanting to be known for who she had been. Because from flirty funny girl, she’d turn a leaf then be tough and skilled and killer. Not simple, not once.I love the options she’s given. Like in Clock Work Angel where there were two viable options. Here it’s the same with Dorian and Chaol neither being completely good because of some things they do some. There’s Dorian, the epitome the handsome prince… who’s absolutely full of himself, but not just that. Sure, he’s the handsome chiseled jaw type, but there’s more to him than that. Like him straining against the direction his father, the King was going. Or him being unable to be what he wants because he’d rather not be the center of too much attention from his father. Then Chaol, who’s serious and distant and aloof and there fore more alluring. I LOVED this character! That guard wanting to keep the distance but being needlessly drawn in stillAnd then between the two there’s this bond, best friend/brothers thing that made things a tad more complicated. There’s the fact that they know each other well enough to balance out the behavior of the other, call the other out regarding what they both want but backing off, stepping back when neededBut there’s so much more I wanted to know. Like who the hell is Sam? And who the hell is Arobbyn? I need more of her history. I needed to know more of her; it seems the road to becoming who she was was not easy and I’d love a look into her history. Or the Guard’s history for the matter him abdicating things to be a soldier. Then, Nehemia with her secret and ability to tap into something that’s been purged from their current world. I loved all the mentions of magic and the Wyrd. Or the King and the Duke… Suffice to say, I expect a lot from the books that follow.Love. love. love4/5And yeah, all those Megan Whalen Turner comparisons are right.