isamlq

isamlq

Fitz - Mick Cochrane “Fifteen year old Fitz kidnaps the father he has never known, taking him from at gun point, in an attempt to address his bewildering mix of resentment and yearning.” Intriguing as that sounds, I had this slight fear that I would get a boy too wrapped up in his own thing, too self absorbed and too aware of what he didn’t have. He was and he wasn’t. It was that start and the end that got me to react the strongest, but the in- between was totally different. Fitz put it best with his ‘what’s after hate?’ It was exactly that question that had me continuing. Frankly, my feelings went from intrigued and curious then settled on my usual “so-what- now feelings” mode that I’ve been on for the longest time, but I really wanted to know what would follow that volatile beginning.Once done, my usual middle feelings of ok came around, but the longer I considered it the more I liked it. Though “like” might not be the right word.This is about how Fitz wants what he doesn’t have. It's also about how he finds why that’s the case. It wasn’t what I was expecting and it certainly wasn’t what he was expecting. Because the story he unearthed with him holding that gun could be described as a little “everyday.” In fact, even him taking his father at gunpoint, was something I thought would go off with a bit more volatility, urgency; something that would grab by my gut, I suppose. But here? I skated through it given how everything was happening so quietly, so ordinarily so quietly ordinary(?). Even his back story that's discovered, felt commonplace. So commonplace, in fact, that it’s what made Fitz’s story sadder… more sad than merited. The reactions he got out of the other were both obvious and not-so obvious because Curtis was afraid and resigned then later even ballsy in getting things done. Overall, however, the progression I can only describe as a little mundane… almost as if it’s everyday that someone (a) takes another at gunpoint and (b) that the other taken at gunpoint. But it’s Curtis side of the story that was less than obvious, it's what niggled at me. Never mind the may be slightly imbalanced boy with the gun. Never mind the same boy’s propensity towards picturing his thoughts real and wanting his daddy. It was CURTIS’s revelations that were equal parts sad and selfish. There’s an honesty to the guy in admitting he came up short. But admitting something and doing something about it are two wholly different things. I did respect the fact that he’s the balls enough to gripe that he was not the only one to come up short… because hey, it was true!! So their actions, even if extreme, were understandable, but still selfish and misguided. This is true both for his mother (with her idea of each doing what’s best for all,) and for his father (with being satisfied in doing what he’d been doing for forever -or not doing as was his case.) And yes even for Fitz, this slightly imbalanced boy with a wanting that’s so big that he acts to the extreme. The start of his story was intriguing, but the progression from there put an emphasis on events that were a bit ‘every day.’ And I may sound contrary, but that end still had me feeling shortchanged. I expected something more. Why that’s the case is a wonder even to me because only in the beginning were things volatile… then thereafter things went quietly, ordinarily by. (yes, I am not blind to my overuse of adverbs in this one.) While not my favorite, this was definitely interesting.THANK YOU NETGALLEY!2??? or 3??? of 5