isamlq

isamlq

The Golden Lily - Richelle Mead 3.5/5"Nice blouse, Sage," he told me dead pan."It really brings out the khaki in your pants.Adrian’s back! I’d worried that I’d gotten too old for his antics… when in fact it was his antics that were the main highlights in this one. Him aside, this took forever to pick up. (Truth? The only time I was truly into it at all was when Adrian was in it.) Still, I found myself nodding along with Sydney’s observations of him. At one point, he’s brave and defensive, later he’s stubborn and held back. I got why he was the way he was, but Lord help me! Our girl was a bit slow on the up take. For such a smart girl, boy could she be dense sometimes! It’s all Sydney this time around. I liked seeing more of her… if only because her life is so complicated! For one, there was a lot her internal back and forth on the vampire and human divide (which could get and did get frustrating…) At least things were made clearer. It’s the personal side that amped up her turmoil some; her being drawn to them, her continued exposure to them proved things were not the black and white she’d been trained to work with. Her connection (friendship with? affection for?) Jill, Eddie… all made their set up a tad stickier. Then if you consider the side drama of Eddie/Jill, Jill/Micah, as well as Angeline/Eddie well… you can only imagine how human these supernatural’s lives could be in her eyes! Never a moments peace... when one layers on the complication of humans handling magic. Events in Bloodlines had left her shaken and only more dead set on her view of magic being outside what humans ought to handle. Of course, circumstance and people around her keep pushing things to the other way. What's even more interesting? Her non-vampire interactions, that's what! There’s greater time spent with her as a girl who’s not used to being just a girl. Not the alchemist, duty bound to watch out for everyone and keep everyone out of trouble, here there’s of her as just the girl/student. It’s these bits that were all at once interesting, hilarious but a little frustrating too! Why? It’s just so obvious how little she knew outside being an Alchemist. But, it’s that ending again has me equal parts frustrated and excited! How come there are always those people ADRIAN!!! who cannot catch a break? Mead certainly loves dangling us over a cliff’s edge, doesn’t she? Want. Next. one. NOW!3.5/5