isamlq

isamlq

Flying Blind - Deborah Cooke Zoe is a combination of Jacinda and Sophie. Where Jacinda’s tale is a little bit more of the romantic kind with her dragon hunter and star crossed lovers’ tale, Zoe is not quite that. She felt much younger for one; it’s her youth that had her prone to the most awkward of exchanges in the boy/girl department. It’s also these boy/girl moments that allowed for a lot of the Sophie-esque moments to crop up. So there was snark, but there was pining too. I liked that. I dove into Flying Blind unaware of it being a spin off of the more adult Dragonfire series. I’m assuming plenty of the old characters showed up, but it’s of no moment. A lot of this felt young and fun. Her dealing with her parents, her affection for them and her frustration with was plain to see. Then those moments with her bonding with her BFF, or even that aspect of a would-be unrequited love on her end had me enjoying the story more. The meat of story though is her coming into her own, figuring out who she was and what she could do. I enjoyed this one… even if there were moments that frustrated me. It’s a young book; she’s a young girl. These two are made even more obvious given what she’s made to deal with: of people turning on certain people, or of her being unable to get a grip on what she must, or even of the deluge of hot hot hot boys paying attention her, or of the drama of having the one who counted not doing so, on account of a hotter older girl’s presence.One part that’s still sticking is Jared’s role in this. I like the idea of it being more than a dragon shifter series; that she and her kind are a part of a bigger more magical/fantasy based world… even if a lot of the magical isn’t as emphasized. I like the hints of magic that’s introduced through spell singers and mages; those things made it even more interestingIt’s young, it’s fun… and I’m reading the next one now.3/5