isamlq

isamlq

Wool 2: Proper Gauge - Hugh Howey A slightly more personal tale than the first, so a bit slower as a result. Still, it’s no less shocking in how it ends. Like Holston’s there are moments that touch on the past. But it’s a past that’s more specific to her, more personal. The mayor and her history contrasted to her duty and the many years she’s had to do what she’d had to do, paint a woman who’s strong but worn:The days pile up and weigh small decisions down, don’t they…? I’m talking about days becoming weeks becoming months becoming years---”Her journey from top to bottom that allows for more clarity as to what the silo really was. Who was where, what was what and why things were arranged the way they were. Basically? We’re given a clearer picture of the place… and also a clearer picture that something wasn’t right.. Admittedly, it’s slower in pace. This trip down the silo as well as her trip though her memories, and though not as compelling as WOOL, were both still interesting where the most interesting moment was her meeting Juliette for the first time. There’s realization that they’re so obviously similar in how sure they both were over the rightness of where they were and what they were doing.And for all that, it is still pressure filled because you know something was coming upon them… and you wait … and wait… and wait… so that when that thing finally did happen, it's not quite the sucker punch that the first one was, but you’re still left, laid out… because you know exactly who they were and what’s been lost. Yes, even with my knowing what was coming, I still felt little prepared.Now she knew the mystery of why all sent out to clean actually did so, why a sad few would dare volunteer for the duty. Better to join a ghost than be haunted by them…