isamlq

isamlq

Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) - Hugh Howey On WOOL 1On WOOL 2: PROPER GAUGEOn WOOL 3: CASTING OFFJuliette. If book one’s end laid me out then book two had me heart slightly broken over the more personal story of a woman coming to grips with who she was and what had come to pass, this one… this one, had my heart pumping then my blood boiling. No longer dealing in the hypothetical’s. Here there’s a more concrete thing, establishing that that creepy feeling did in fact have basis. What’s better? She’s more or less pinpointed its source. So, no imaginary badness here; no baseless paranoia because Juliette’s too calculated and organized in her thinking, she saw people and things in ways she understood them, “People were like machines. They broke down. They rattled. They could burn you or maim you if you weren’t careful.” That in mind, it was her as narrator that kept me even more interested; certainly, both Holston and Jahns’s stories were quiet and heartbreaking, but its Juliette’s part of it that’s less quiet, more strong and more to the point. Her story offers a turning point in Wool. The groundwork in Wool 1 and 2 had her sprinting through everything, all the while dragging me along with to follow (helpless unwilling to get left behind.) Her seeing what others had seen before her and then deciding what needed to be done fueled the action. Here too is a more present opposition. It’s this last one who had me wondering: another of those doing what they thought right? Or another too used to stasis, unwilling to allow for change? So with what was could be a face and name to base the paranoia and fear on, I was pleasantly surprised by the change in pace. Beginning with one woman wavering on her place; it became that same piecing things together and then finally her coming to grips with what might have been going on. Things really did go lightning-quick, but also with more questions coming out. Plus, there’s that connection while unexpected was totally welcome. It's the same that added a bit of sweetness to all that was terrifying. This might just be my favorite in the Wool bunch so far. --------On WOOL 4: UNRAVELING: “There was a terrifying world around her, one she could be dimly aware of if she concentrated hard enough, a world she knew but could no longer see.”And I thought BOOK 3 was exciting. I love how each book is told by someone else so that there's more to the experience. Lukas was that twenty something year old man who’d piqued both my interest as well as that of book three's narrator's. He's out of place but obviously there was more to him. So, if the first one confused me then shocked me, and if the second and third ones had me pumped; this fourth touches a little on the sweet. Emphasis on 'a little,' though because the goings-on in this one, the discoveries that one or two of them made were so out there, but not too out there, making the same all the more scary.Here is where things got PASSIONATE; the people, FIERY. Every one of them, doing what they thought was right. Him for a person he barely knew; the rest of them for what’s been done to her but also for what they couldn’t do for her (and others like her,)And tell me, where will you be, Knox of Mechanical, when the bombs fly? When these men and women who look up to us are facing their gravest test, where will you be?”“You know where I’ll---” he started to answer.“Damn straight,” McLain said, releasing his arm. “And you‘d better well know that I’ll see you there…”Then of course all that paled in comparison to what Chapter 17 had done to me. Roughly thereafter, it was all I could do to keep from screaming, Holy Mind Fuck Batman! Everything said had a grain of truth in it, and it was terrifying! --------On WOOL 5: STRANDEDIt’s been a long time coming but yes, how it all came together in the end has me all fan-girl happy, in a ZOMG!! kind of way. 5/5