isamlq

isamlq

Adorkable - Sarra Manning 3.5-4/5Ms. Dork meeting Mr. Popularity is not quite what takes place in ADORKABLE. I enjoyed it. Even if it took a good long while before I’d warmed up to either of them. They’re, the both of them, superficial. Where she’s wrapped up in being the individual, marching to the beat of her own drum (and getting others too to march along with;) he’s too wrapped up in her being what she is. There’s a lot of focus on him not being like her at all. So it’s surprising how time and time again they’d find themselves fused at the lips. So things got funny, (no kidding.) Then things got sexy (… I mean really.) But mostly, ADORKABLE’s not quite the dork-meets-popular tale you’d expect it to be.Jeane makes one statement after another, so I liked the girl even if she’s behaves in the most contrary of ways. I’ve just read KEEP HOLDING ON, and I find the difference between the two leads absolutely striking. Odd, how the two are sort of in the same boat (young and connectionless.) Only with Jeanne, she makes do and keeps moving forwards; sometimes even pushing others out of the way; but in KHO, Noelle is pulled down and wallows. So, for being all gung ho, take life by its balls, and calling things like they are, I’ve got to say Jeane was impressive… in a terrifying/intimidating/larger-than-life sort of way. So much so that when she’s not quite as strong as she is at first, her vulnerability got me to choke up all the more. it simply felt so out of character but still in the moment enough to be sincere. (I sincerely hope I’m making sense.) Then Michael. At first I wanted to punch him with how wrong every other thought of his felt to me. But if I’m being honest, I wanted to punch both of them at one point or another. He’s the popular guy… and starts out a total tool; then progresses toward being less of a tool…to being not one all the time. I liked that; the fact that both of them evolve, not necessarily in a way that made the other better, but instead more aware. They could make the worst of the other come out though, so there were points in it that revealed him as more than popular boy, and her more than queen dork. On the one hand, he could be sensitive; on the other, she could show that she’s not all 100% strength, all the time.I enjoyed this.