isamlq

isamlq

Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale This particular story has a fairy tale feel to it... and it was incredibly entertaining. Seven years they were to stay, Lady Saren and her handmaid Dashti. You’d think the first a strong princess, a brave one… another one of those in your face, I’ll do as I please versions of princesses. She’s not. You’d think Dashti, meek and obedient. She is. Despite said fact, it’s still Dashti who shines in this one because the princess was often times too delicate, too soft, too shy… and just not quite all there. And just so you know, all those stars are on account of Dashti, who’s loyal to a fault, kind and soft hearted. It’s Dashti who’s a special ability to sing others well. She shines despite having to do things she had no choice but to do. Despite her servitude and the attitude she bore in that position, she’s still a strong voice, the strongest in fact. Because were this all about Saren, I don’t think I’d have enjoyed the story one bit. It's Dashti’s thoughts, her voice what excited me, what had me laughing and then sometimes cringing. I enjoyed her voice; the change in their circumstance and her views of the same. Starting off as excited, plodding toward being bored out of her mind, then later being utterly frustrated at what her lady would and would not do. There’s the added bonus in how it’s told: each entry by Dashti revealed the changes in her thinking and some times even glimpses of her Lady improving. There's also a fantastic and magical feel to it, but it's something that didn’t drown everything else out. Her skill was just extra. This wasn’t a heavy on the magic; it being mainly about staying resilient, holding true to who you are, what you want and what’s right.3.5/5