isamlq

isamlq

A Midsummer's Nightmare - Kody Keplinger bear with me here, folks. i liked it and i didn't like it. big plus points on how much better i found both its story and the way it flowed, especially when i contrast it to the 'too-laid out, follow the crumbs toward the story's resolution feel' that DUFF and Shut Out had me feeling. in fact, even if a major point in this still has me weirded out, midsummer nightmare just might be my favorite of hers... though technically that's really not saying much given my having rated her previous two books at two's and this one? a glowing three. heck. maybe even three point five.  then, bigger plus points on account of whitley. she's is out there and vibrant and lively. the best thing i can say about her is that she knows what she wants and has this definite way of going about it. sadly, it took pages and pages of me-myself-and-I whining on her part before I actually liked her for more than her being fierce. so, liking her was difficult; she made it difficult! she has a warped view of things, of herself as well as of others. and it's all that, that made her a slightly more sad lead. she's fierce, but not really all that, and why exactly? she's eighteen and still hung up on what mommy didn't do and what daddy could have done. what's worse is she does make perfectly valid claims: her parents truly do suck. once made clear, it's easy to see where things were going. so, that's another thing i liked: how easy to read it was. in fact, the same thing can be said for Duff and Shut Out; that even when the characters were being a pain, it was still easy to follow along. that said, i do think there were many too-convenient explanations and even more too-convenient fixes here. so that what you end up with is she's the way she is because her parents were the way they were. i get it... i just didn't buy into it completely. plus, i'm still slightly weirded out by her romantic situation.