isamlq

isamlq

Unholy Ghosts  - Stacia Kane Second read through:Look, it’s boring as hell the first fifty percent in, but once fifty nine hits and with everything thereafter, well… things get crazy in how good they were. This second read through has me seeing details that just didn’t matter to me. She’s every bit as screwed up as I recall her. But she’s every bit as sad too. What’s got me wondering again though is if she’s got so little going for her then why are all these men in her way? First, Doyle, who read too good to be true… turns out, I was right Then Lex who read the bad boy, but the irresistible bad boy, if you catch my drift. Then Terrible, whom we know for a fact isn’t that attractive, built like a tank and with a face that may or may not have been run over by one. But… Why, oh why am I so fascinated by them all? By that last guy in particular. Then Chessie. It’s one debacle after another for her, and I’ m still here because she’s just that fascinating. She’s punched, stabbed, hexed… and subject to a other numerous things, but she’s stronger for all that. And also more interesting because she simply isn’t that strong or more likely, she isn’t as strong as I’d have liked her to be, if the drug use doesn’t establish this I don’t know what will… And still here I am... rooting for her.3.5/5*********First read through: It took me quite some time to get accustomed to the world she lived in and the language that some of the people used. It was not the drug use that I disliked (facts of life after all) rather it was the constant introspection going on that I could not abide. For most of the book it’s Chess thinking to herself considering the motives of others or thinking about how someone did something, or thinking about needing/wanting another hit that you read about. Only when she interacted with the other characters did things really get interesting. Her interaction with Doyle, Bump and Terrible then later Lex… were the parts that really got me reading on, if not for the supporting cast, I probably would have chucked UG early on.One thing I have noticed though, Urban Fantasy heroines that I have read have some funky self-concepts going for them. Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson did not consider themselves anything special, and yet a boat load of guys were very into them. Chess is no exception.3.5