isamlq

isamlq

Drowning Instinct - Ilsa J. Bick No matter how well intentioned someone is, the same doesn’t stop them from deciding a certain thing and acting a particular way. You come away from this knowing full well that there really are no stereotypical predators or victims. Predators don’t go around all skeevy and scary announcing to the world who they are and what they want. Neither do victims. And she was definitely one, time and again… so this is me again: torn. DROWNING INSTINCT enthralled me. Rare is the book that would get me to use that particular descriptive, but it really did. She scared me and then her story went and broke my heart a little because you’d think that there’d be something good in this for her. And, may be, just maybe there was some good for her… except it was all so fleeting; bright and all that, but far too short a time especially when contrasted to everything else that had taken place. Everything happens to her, some by her own doing but most all else not. So midway through I wasn’t exactly positive if I could trust what was being said. Time and time again I had to put it down wondering if she really was saying what she was saying. Then I’d find myself picking it back up and getting sucked in again. She’s such a sad history… and it’s left me feeling a lot of what I did after FORBIDDEN, PIECES OF US and A STORY TELLER: at once happy then sad but basically torn about what was happening knowing that things (a whole boat load of things) weren’t right, but wanting her to be happy… even for just a little. Oh, and pardon the shouty caps but: READ THIS, people!4.5/5