isamlq

isamlq

Untitled Downside Ghosts - Stacia Kane Even with book three ending the way it did, things still don’t go as smoothly I’d have liked for her. A lot of that’s because she’s her own worst enemy. (And, yes, maybe some of it’s because he’s just like her.) Both of them, with their questions and their doubt, her issues especially on trusting and proving things; all of that’s made more difficult. Now,Never mind, that she’s almost killed (several times) in this one;Never mind, that Lex is even more awesome in this one than I remember. Because how come it was those tender moments that had my heart beating double time? How come every single page where she’s confronting him (and we all know who he is), things felt more like she was confronting herself? Things still aren’t easy. Her choice is made, but she’s still looking back. In doing so I’m seeing the other guy in a totally different light. But I’m also seeing something new, something else that I don’t like in her. But maybe, in having Chessie act the way she does, be the way she is, Ms. Kane’s kept things real. That choosing something doesn’t preclude regret; that perhaps these things just go hand in hand. Or then again, maybe it less about t regret and more about working at whatever it is you pick.Plus, there’s a moment here that shines a light on her addiction and how she feels about it. That it’s hers and that it’s not something she’s willing to share. It’s a shock really because…because she has him and he has her. So, I fretted (am still fretting, in fact) over what would happen if (WHEN) things get too much for her. At which point, I'd imagine, she’d lose herself in her pills AND THEN he’d lose her. THEN I’d likely be broken for him AND be furious with her! But she is the way she is with the why of it is only made clearer here: her past is so haunting, but she doesn’t want to be haunted so she drowns it AND herself in anything handy. (Did I make any sense at all?)So good.4/5