isamlq

isamlq

The Bronze Horseman  - Paullina Simons Where to start? Where to start? Where to start? I struggled at the beginning because at first the girl behaved in a rather ‘young’ fashion, but understandably so… for the story does begin with her as exactly that. Then things got interesting/ complicated because if it wasn’t one thing tearing at her, it was another. There love, he said, was an impossible one, and I couldn’t agree more: her, too young; there being a war just begun; him and her, surrounded by some of the neediest bunch of people blind to anything save their own issues.So, there was no choice was there? No choice, but to root for the girl who was simultaneously too young, too kind, too loyal that she wouldn’t go after what she wanted. It’s the last that had me so frustrated: that she was doing all that was doing for such utterly ungrateful shits. Her quiet acceptance of things being the way they were was one part sad, two parts maddening. Her accepting that each of them, Pasha, Dasha and herself, had roles they fit into was doubly annoying because it seemed too good to be true, too many instances of turning the left cheek. I didn’t buy it and couldn’t believe that it happened over and over again. It seemed I wasn’t alone because in his eyes she deserved better… and he fought for her. So, where she’s kind, loyal, sweet and constant; he’s brave and her protector. If only their story could be so simply summed up! As said, if it wasn’t one thing it was another. Their tale is long and arduous… too painful a lot of the time, but made easier with a hope that there’d be something for them. But, just when you think that hope fulfilled, another obstacle spring up… obstacles in the form of the most ungrateful shits, I tell you. It’s paced well enough with Part One a necessary evil for one to know precisely what kind of family she’s in and what kind of trouble there country is part of. By Part Two, though, I couldn’t get enough and just read… and read… and read. It took me two days and half days and I wonder did her world capture my imagination? well, I can say the parts of it laid were horrifyingly sad: the losses she suffered, (that they all suffered) plus what they did to get by… all of it brought out changes in them most often for the worse but sometimes (and with great relief) for the better. More likely, its their impossible love story that kept me up. What a wonderfully told story: beautiful, hopeful, sweet... but painful, too.4.5/5