isamlq

isamlq

Defiance - C.J. Redwine An excellent start with a little bit of Forsaken then a touch of Blood Red Road.. except that I felt as though I’d been here before; and that I’d met these same people before. Only later in the story did things get slightly original, so thank gosh for a second half that had me sitting up and paying attention. On the first half that had me experiencing a teensy case of déjà vu: Where Logan’s concerned, Rachel is the reluctant type, unwilling to go back to where she was; the one who’s once burned twice shy. Then where everyone else is concerned, she’s daddy’s little girl except actually quite the weapon. Logan too does a lot of typically YA male lead things. He’s the one finding a balance; he’s the one trying to live up to what’s expected of him. As I’ve said, I felt that I knew these people or had at least read their types before. Thankfully, there is more to them that’s revealed... eventually.Thank Gosh! Rachel isn’t dystopia-Riley and neither Logan, Beck’s. By the second half, she's no longer the sad girl and him, the poor boy. They both show their strengths: him in his analytical inventing ways; her in everything her daddy’s trained her to be. It's interesting how both of them are actually such strong characters, but it’s a strength that’s barely touched in the first half in which she’s more the hot head and going off half cocked and he’s barely even there. Specifics...They’re not completely one-dimensional even if they did start out that way. Rachel especially in the second half was particularly interesting. Her dealing with things and not dealing with things were the more interesting moments; I caught a glimpse of something more than the hot head, ‘let-me-at-em’ girl. Personally, Logan was just so-so. His character felt a lot like Bruce Wayne, hero with a dark past you’re not quite sure of. Logan is Bruce because he’s always so ‘super’ in everything he does. Super smart, super strong and super analytical… but it’s the last that grated on me. All that worst case/best case scenarios could get (and did get) old for me. Then, there’s my gripe on things being too conveniently solved with him around; but of course him being smarter than the rest of them made things slightly easier to swallow. Of course the highlight of me comparing him to some super hero or other was when something like this happened: (Even I have to admit that that's pretty cool.) Thanks Edelweiss!3.5/5