isamlq

isamlq

Enshadowed - Kelly Creagh "A word to the wise… cover your mirrors. That’s how they find you." It’s been almost two years so the details were a bit unclear when I started, but Isobel’s words brought it all back: how there’s an eerie nightmarish quality, an otherworld-ness to the other side... because that’s what the case was…is? “…The Grim Façade. The dream world masquerade. The falling ash and the woodlands. The sky ripped into shreds by bleeding strips of violet. And his eyes. Always those eyes. Again and again she saw the blackness overtake them. She watched it spiral out, consuming her reflection, leaving behind a stranger."Creepily fantastic, fantastically creepy... if a bit slow in pace, Enshadowed brings Isobel front and center, except unlike Isobel of old what we have here is a different girl, one who stands apart from the rest. This is so much more that the boy-girl on opposite side of the tracks, here it’s her slowly uncovering parallels between what could be Varen’s reality and what might have been have been Poe’s past. But more fascinating? The bleeding through of said nightmare world into her everyday so that she’d struggle to distinguish between the two. It’s that which made everything in this even more wonderfully creepy except beyond that little else did take place. I mean, nothing happened save Isobel suffering, of course. So, this isn’t typical paranormal fare of boy + girl + love conquers all; though it may be working its way toward that, in the mean time, here it’s two worlds, both of unacceptable realities: one without him, the other without her. While, nothing much happens what does make the two-year wait bearable: With her the way she is, set apart, she establishes what might have happened and what she could do about it, as well as who’s on her side. As to the last, it’s this end that where the unexpected came up. Who would have thought certain people capable of so and so? I’m struggling not to spoil things here, but who would have thought?! I mean, really? Plus, I could complain about Varen’s little felt presence, or about that massively frustrating cliffy… but it won’t because both are positives for me, one more so than the other. To the first, even if there’s next to nothing on Varren, his is an absence that’s felt; one that moves her to live (or not live) the way she was living. An absent presence if that makes any sense because it added to a mood that’s already different in its nightmarish quality. To the second, well let’s just say that I have high hopes for the third one.