isamlq

isamlq

Story of a Girl - Sara Zarr what would have been a thirty minute coffee break this morning morphed into two hours of me ordering one round after another, all because i didn't want this to end. i might have gotten couple side glances too, with maybe imaginary word bubbles of 'what's bugging you and why the clenched jaw?' directed my way. and how could i not clench my jaws? how could i not breathe deep? really, how could i not when this story of this girl had both angry me and sad me riled up! the only time i wanted to make a fist-pump of joy was how she dealt with tommy... every other moment had me dreading what would happen next. so, right now, there's angry me, and then there's sad me. goodness, but this book has those two halves in me jostling at each other just to have their say first.she's a pretty decent kid too, wise about some things but not so wise that she'd avoid the moments that had me screaming 'NOOO! you know better, right?' and 'don't do it, don't do it!' in my head. that she doesn't have it all us made plain, but that there were positives too can't be denied either. it's simply that those few positives didn't go all the way. take the brother and the mother who were present but mired in their own thing. her mother especially, who's presence was felt, but almost always fell short. and you know what? i could forgive them to an extent especially when darren made it clear that they were in the same boat then doling out some tough love with her needing to make her own way (out.) i was all set for this big yay... but was held back by the nagging question of 'what about her?' Which the girl eerily echoes moments later with her,I, Deanna Lambert, belong to no one, and no one belongs to me. I don't know what to do. *sniff*but it's her father who had me blinking back... but blinking back why? from my anger for him or from my disappointment in him for her. her feelings for him, recalling what was, missing it but being resigned that they were the way they were had me glued:"That's what I figured out that day... that as much as I'd let him down, he'd let me down, too, and he was the one who should know better. He was my dad. That's when I had to make myself stop loving him. I had to remember the way he used to be, because if I kept thinking about the old dad every time I looked at him, I would never stop hurting." *SOB*heavy stuff here... all because people make mistakes and with things that matter being left unsaid.4.5/5